I don’t know why I never thought about this before.
Bipolar is totally completely 100% Gaslighting us.
I just read the new post on Pride In Madness. She is fabulous. I love her stuff and you should totally read it.
She has fantastic points about how the push towards “positive thinking” can sometimes cross into a form of Gaslighting.
In case you are not familiar with Gaslighting I will go ahead and give you the definition and you will then immediately see what I saw….
That Bipolar is Gaslighting us
Gaslighting is when someone manipulates you into questioning your own sanity.
It is a form of emotional, psychological abuse.
The victim is fed lies and is manipulated and confused until they no longer know what it real and what is not
they live in a state of doubt and confusion
and they question their own sanity.
To best get this point all the home I am going to paste here an expert from this article from Psychology Today
How do you know if you are being gaslighted?
If any of the following warning signs ring true, you may be dancing the Gaslight Tango. Take care of yourself by taking another look at your relationship, talking to a trusted friend; and, begin to think about changing the dynamic of your relationship .
Here are the signs:
1. You are constantly second-guessing yourself
2. You ask yourself, “Am I too sensitive?” a dozen times a day.
3. You often feel confused and even crazy at work.
4. You’re always apologizing to your mother, father, boyfriend,, boss.
5. You can’t understand why, with so many apparently good things in your life, you aren’t happier.
6. You frequently make excuses for your partner’s behavior to friends and family.
7. You find yourself withholding information from friends and family so you don’t have to explain or make excuses.
8. You know something is terribly wrong, but you can never quite express what it is, even to yourself.
9. You start lying to avoid the put downs and reality twists.
10. You have trouble making simple decisions.
11. You have the sense that you used to be a very different person – more confident, more fun-loving, more relaxed.
12. You feel hopeless and joyless.
13. You feel as though you can’t do anything right.
14. You wonder if you are a “good enough” girlfriend/ wife/employee/ friend; daughter.
15. You find yourself withholding information from friends and family so you don’t have to explain or make excuses
Say it with me
Bipolar is totally Gaslighting me
that little bastard!
Now I’m even more pissed at Bipolar
And why is this such a thrilling idea for me?
Because it is one phenomenon that truly illustrates
how Bipolar is NOT like the other physical illnesses
Bipolar is emotionally and psychologically abusive
Maybe that is why
WE FEEL SO ABUSED
We sometimes feel and act like victims
And look at this!
Here are some Long Term Side Effects of emotional abuse from Healthy Place
Low self-esteem and self-worth
Physical pain without cause
Suicidal ideation, thoughts or attempts
Extreme dependence on the abuser
Inability to trust
Feeling trapped and alone
Now what the flying freak ya’ll?!?
Any of that shit sound FAMILIAR?
No wonder we feel so fucking CRaZy!!!!!!!!!
Bipolar wants us to!
So now when the thoughts are spinning and racing and you are questioning your sanity and doubting whether things are real or not real are you over reacting or being too sensitive….etc etc etc
You can remember that not only is Bipolar fucking with your brain
but it is also abusing you emotionally
Bipolar is Gaslighting your ass